The Study Type usually determines the distribution of the Reward. Private Studies such as ExpertSearch and FlashSearch have set Reward structures as described in the Study Types page. For some Public Studies, the Reward may vary.
Most CS Studies follow the same basic structure as described in the succeeding sections of this page. The Winner in a CS Study is the Researcher who provides either the “highest quality submission” or the “best collection.”
- Highest Quality Submission – For most CS Studies including Validity searches, the Winner is the Researcher who provides the submission that best matches the Research Requirements. The winning response is chosen among all submissions that are marked in-scope, as described in the Submission Ranks page.
- Best Collection – For some CS Studies such as State of the Art searches, the Winner is the Researcher who submits the best collection of submissions. The best collection is determined by the total number of in-scope submissions and the overall quality of the collection.
For each Study, you may view the details of the Reward Structure by checking the icon next to the Reward amount on the Study page.
Reward Distribution for CS Studies
The Reward for CS Studies is split among the Study Winner and the other Researchers who provided in-scope submissions.
To illustrate, the following is the breakdown of the total Study Reward for a $4,500 CS Study:
- $3,500 – Winner Reward: The Winner is guaranteed to earn a minimum of $2,500 and may earn up to $3,500 based on the type of winning submission.
- $1,000 – In-Scope Rewards: Up to 20 in-scope submissions earn $50 each.
The following is the breakdown of the total Study Reward for a $6,500 CS Study:
- $5,000 – Winner Reward: The Winner is guaranteed to earn a minimum of $4,000 and may earn up to $5,000 based on the type of winning submission.
- $1,500 – In-Scope Rewards: Up to 30 in-scope submissions earn $50 each.
The Study Winner is guaranteed a minimum Reward. In recognition of the challenges of finding high-quality Non-Patent Literature and Non-English documents, the Study Winner may earn $500 bonuses based on the type of winning document.
- Document Type – The Winner receives a $500 bonus for submitting a winning NPL document or a winning Japanese or Chinese patent (with an English translation).
- Non-English NPL – The Winner receives an additional $500 bonus for submitting a non-English NPL (with an English translation).
In a $4,500 CS Study, for example, the Study Winner is guaranteed a $2,500 minimum Reward. The Winner receives a $500 bonus ($3,000 total Reward) for a winning NPL submission or a winning Japanese or Chinese patent. The Winner receives an additional $500 bonus ($3,500 total Reward) if the winning NPL is non-English.
Up to a certain number of new (i.e. not duplicate) in-scope submissions will earn $50 each. A Researcher may earn more than $50 for sending multiple in-scope submissions. NPL and non-English submissions will be prioritized if there are more in-scope submissions than the allotted number of In-Scope Rewards.